23 9 / 2014
"There are two main barriers to learning about people’s sex lives. The first is finding men and women who are willing to divulge facts about the most private thing they do. The second is relying on those people to tell the whole horny truth, in all its colourful, unadulterated glory, with nothing left lying on the bedroom floor."
Woahhhh charts AND pictures of giant dildos?
18 9 / 2014
"Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze."
09 9 / 2014
It’s been a while since I posted a recipe! I’ve been making a simpler version of this Julia Child tomato leek soup recipe for a few months now. It’s great because I can keep all of the ingredients on hand (in the freezer or cabinet) indefinitely - a must if you are as bad at planning dinners as I am.
One bag frozen chopped leeks
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 24 oz can of crushed or diced tomatoes
4 large garlic cloves
6 cups vegetable broth
1/2 Cup raw white rice
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 tbsp of dried basil (or a bunch of fresh if you have it!)
a large pinch of saffron threads
salt and pepper
few pinches of sugar
1 teaspoon or more tomato paste
salt and pepper
1. Heat up some olive oil in a big pot (your soup pot!)
2. Put your leeks in for about 5-10 minutes, or until they are soft.
3. Put in tomatoes and garlic for a few minutes (until you can smell some garlic cooking)
4. Put in vegetable broth, rice, and all spices. Add in a few mills of pepper and about a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer for however long your rice takes to cook (probably 20-30 minutes)
5. Taste your soup - what does it need? More salt? More pepper? Is it acidic? If so add about a teaspoon of sugar. Want it to be thicker or more tomato-y? Add about a teaspoon of tomato paste. I generally add both the sugar and tomato paste because YUM to both of those.
08 9 / 2014
28 8 / 2014
When is the best time to see the judge?
After the judge has had something to eat.
"…Kahneman discusses how external factors can affect our tendency to fall back on easy “default” decisions instead of taking a few minutes to think the decision through. To drive his point home, he provides one disturbing example from a research article published in PNAS a few years ago.”
(H/T to Randal Olsen for the cool post)
18 8 / 2014
"You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
01 8 / 2014
02 7 / 2014
Women’s Studies, Florida International University
"Placing Blame: The Effect of Rape Myths on the Progression of Acquaintance Rape Cases through the U.S. Legal System and Possible Solutions."